Wounded Warriors Canada Post-Secondary Scholarship
“The scholarship helped me offset the cost of childcare and tuition as I return to university as a Mature Student. Without this grant, the financial hardship may have become unsurmountable and I would not be able to pursue my education.”
WWC Post-Secondary Scholarship Program Graduate
Wounded Warriors Canada is proud to announce that we are now receiving applications of third annual WWC Post-Secondary Scholarships benefiting military and first responder families for the 2018-19 school year. Beginning in 2016, through the generous support of the founding sponsors at The Bay Street Children’s Foundation, CIBC, RBC, and ITG, the $40,000 WWC PSC will fund one year of full-time post-secondary education, for 8 children 4 of whom whose parent(s) is a Canadian Armed Forces Veteran, serving or retired, affected by Operational Stress Injuries (OSI) – including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD); and 4 of whom whose parent(s) is a First Responder affected by Operational Stress Injuries (OSI) – including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
On September 6, 2016 Wounded Warriors Canada was pleased to announce the eight inaugural recipients of the inaugural Veterans Child Scholarship (now the WWC Post-Secondary Scholarship) for the 2016-2017 school year. We wish all applicants much success in their studies.
The WWC Post-Secondary Scholarship provides a $5,000 (maximum) scholarship per full course year with payments divided on a semester basis.
Wounded Warriors Canada is profoundly aware of the life changing impact that mental health injuries have on families and, specifically, the children. This post-secondary scholarship represents Wounded Warriors Canada’s first initiative directly focused on the children of our ill and injured uniformed service personnel.
Terms & Conditions|Eligibility Criteria:
- To be eligible for a WWC Post-Secondary Scholarship:
- Applicants must be children whose parent(s) is a Canadian Armed Forces Veteran, serving or retired or a First Responder, affected by Operational Stress Injuries (OSI) including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD);
- A Canadian citizen; and
- Accepted into a full time course of studies at recognized publicly funded Canadian college or university
- Employees, directors and officers of Wounded Warriors Canada, and any family of the foregoing, are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Students will be able to apply to the scholarship via the Wounded Warriors Canada website, and are to be submitted on-line. Applications will be received from May 22nd to June 29th with the application period closing earlier should the number of application surpass 25 in each category.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Individuals awarded a WWC PSS will not be considered for subsequent scholarships.
- Wounded Warriors Canada staff will review all eligible applications and provide a shortlist of applicants for consideration by the Wounded Warriors Canada Board of Directors.
- Applications will be considered complete when all the following documentation has been received by Wounded Warriors Canada:
- Completion of the online application including a 250 to 500 word maximum essay, written by the applicant explaining how the awarding of this scholarship will make a positive difference in their life accompanied by:
(1) A proof of enrolment in the program, or a letter of acceptance into a program from the college or university;
(2) Letter of recommendation supporting the application from a health care professional stating that an OSI has impacted the family; and
(3) A letter of recommendation from a source of the applicant’s choice supporting the application.
7. Applications will be prioritized based on the following:
i. Essay Answer – 50%
ii. Letters of Reference – 25%; and
iii. Financial need – 25%.
b. The essay will be evaluated based on the following:
i. Positive impact – 50%;
ii. Clarity of thought and communication of arguments – 25%; and
iii. Persuasiveness – 25%.
8. The applicant certifies that all the information provided on the application form and in all the accompanying documents is true, accurate, and complete to the best of their knowledge.
a. The applicant understands that the provision of false information will render them ineligible for consideration for the WWC Post-Secondary Scholarship;
b. By submitting the scholarship application, the scholarship candidate authorizes Wounded Warriors Canada to release any information provided in or relating to the scholarship application to its representatives, for purposes of administering and promoting scholarship;
c. The applicant authorizes Wounded Warriors Canada to collect, use, store and confirm information about the applicant; the application for the purposes of administering and promoting this Scholarship program. The information Wounded Warriors Canada may collect, use, store and confirm includes, but is not limited to, personal evaluations and transcripts;
d. The applicant hereby authorizes third parties, such as universities, government or community sources to release information required for the scholarship to Wounded Warriors Canada who need to know such information for purposes of administering the scholarships. This information may include personal evaluations, verification that student information is correct and transcripts;
e. Scholarship recipients (in the case of minors, a parent or legal guardian) will be required to sign a Declaration of Compliance, Publicity and Liability Release before being awarded a scholarship. The signed declaration will include the recipient’s consent to the use of their name, city and province or territory of residence and photograph, image or likeness without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by Wounded Warriors Canada in respect of the Scholarship program.
Please print the completed form and add your signature. Application form, supporting documents and reference letters are to be scanned and saved in pdf or word format. Completed Documents are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or forwarded by mail to: Wounded Warriors Canada VCS, 310 Byron Street South, Suite 4 Whitby, ON L1N 4P8
Note: “2018-19 Applications will be received from May 22nd to June 29th 2018 with the application period closing earlier should the number of application surpass 25 in each category.”